Haselbury Plucknett First School has had a very successful Walking Bus in place for over a decade and it is an invaluable part of the school. It was set up to enable parents who need to drop their children off earlier than the school start time and to ease the number of cars and congestion outside the school in the mornings.
Parent volunteers are at the Bible Christian Centre at 8:30am each school morning with the exception of Wednesay's. The Walking Bus departs at 8:40am prompt and the children are walked safely into School. The Walking Bus runs come rain or shine. All the children benefit from the short walk before school and enjoy the ‘chitter chatter’ along the way.
If you want an earlier start in the morning, you can drop off your child from 8.30am to come to school under the safe supervision of DBS checked adults. The Bus leaves the Bible Christian Centre at 8.40am. If you are nearby at this time, you may fancy just walking along with the children on your way to school.
This is a very helpful support for parents who are on their way to work and it is a socialable and healthy way to start the day. We started this nearly 9 years ago and it is a very valuable resource for you, our parents.
The car park at the Bible Christian Centre is large so you will always find room to park, rather than looking for a space near school! The children gather together and walk along the pavement then through the back paths to school, wearing high viz jackets to keep them visible.
If you volunteer to walk with the Bus, you will still come into the playground to catch up with news!
Please think about using it for your child and about walking with the children on one or more mornings a week.
Some parents use the Walking Bus each day; others use it occasionally. It’s handy to know the bus is there as a backup for the things that school mornings can throw at you.
Our Bus Drivers are:
Monday - Bridget Reader and Jess Hyslop
Tuesday - WALKING BUS DOES NOT RUN
Wednesday - WALKING BUS DOES NOT RUN
Thursday - Michaela Slade and Vince Matherick
Friday - Michaela Slade and Vince Matherick
- Parents must hand over their children to you in the morning.
- Please ensure the children wear the orange high viz jacket before and during the walking bus.
- Once at school please ensure the children put their jacket into their book bag or hand back to you.
- Please hand over the high viz jacket bag to the next person on the rota when you get into school in the morning.
- If raining, the jackets may need to be hung out to dry so they don’t go mouldy.
- If you can’t be there on your day please swap with someone else on the list. If you are unable to arrange cover please telephone the office.