‘Roots to Grow and Wings to Fly’
Our 'Values Tree' on display in our school reception
As a proud Church school, we are rooted in love. We aspire to nurture and help our children flourish as respectful, compassionate citizens who seek to positively contribute to our local community and the world beyond. Our school family model our Christian values of RESPECT, COMPASSION, TRUST, FORGIVENESS, ASPIRATION and COURAGE.
We strive to help our children experience ‘life in all its fullness’ as expressed in John 10:10.
Our vision links into the parable of the sower in Matthew 13: 3-9. For seeds to grow, they need solid, firm and strong roots. In this parable, Jesus explains that when seeds are planted in good soil, they grow and thrive. When seeds are planted in bad soil or on unsuitable ground, the roots cannot grow, meaning the plants are weak. Jesus goes onto say, when seeds are planted in good soil they grow and bear fruit. Birds nest in trees, nurture their young who then go onto fly and flourish.
Our children will be given the ‘ROOTS TO GROW’ though our Christian values and Golden Rules:
- Stay Safe
- Try our best
- Be happy and believe in yourself
- Always be sensible and helpful
- Respect our school and each other
- Treat each other kindly
- Strive to make our school outstanding
These roots give our children the ‘WINGS TO FLY’. This means:
- Having the ability to live in and value a diverse society
- Children realise their potential and seek to be the best they can be
- Having the confidence to make informed choices and think for yourself disagreeing well,
- Being aware of your own gifts and using them well
- Valuing the local community and world in which they live and making a positive contribution
- Recognising and celebrating the good in everybody and everything
ROOTS AND WINGS – Poet unknown
If I could give you many things,
I’d give you gold and silver rings
Of knowledge that I’ve gained with years
The gift of smiling through the tears
Confidence, courage, determination,
Laughter and spirit and love of creation,
Wrapped up in a box with a bow, I’d give
To you these gifts to keep for as long as you live.
“If I could give you just two things,
One would be Roots, the other, Wings.”
Roots, not to tie you to the ground,
But to guide you to where your fulfilment is found
The nourishing start, the firm foundation,
The source of your inner determination.
Wings to soar over obstacles, wings to fly free,
Wings to glide to the heights of the best you can be.
And when obstacles loom, from your Roots grows a hand
Providing a strong, sturdy, safe place to land.
I’d choose these two things for the gifts that are best,
For with Roots and with Wings, you’ll find all the rest!
Click on these links for more information about each Christian Value: